JythonMusic runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Download and Install
- Download the latest release (234MB).
- Current Release: Jython 2.7.2, JEM 4.7
- Release date: October 12, 2022 (also see what’s new)
- Unzip the JythonMusic folder you just downloaded. This folder contains the JEM editor (see below), a few sample programs, and the JythonMusic libraries.
- Keep all extracted files inside the JythonMusic folder.
- Place the JythonMusic folder on your desktop (or anywhere you want).
- Keep all your programs in this folder. But you can make copies of this folder for larger projects, if you wish.
- If not already installed, install Java version 8 (Windows, Mac, and Linux).
- JythonMusic runs on top of a Java virtual machine (JVM).
- Also, see issue with Java 9.
There are several ways to run JythonMusic programs:
- Use provided JEM editor (for beginners – easiest)
- Use Sublime editor (for intermediate users – preferred)
- Use VS Code editor (for intermediate users)
- Use Atom editor (for intermediate users)
- Use Atom editor (for advanced users – very customizable)
- Use terminal window (for advanced users – pure freedom!!!)
NOTE: Most advanced editors allow customization – by exploring the above instructions, you should be able to make your preferred editor run JythonMusic, as long as it provides a way to specify which run-time environment to use, when running files.