JythonMusic runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Download latest release (72MB).
- Current Release: JythonMusic 4.5
- Release date: March 21, 2017 (see what’s new)
To install, unzip the JythonMusic folder.
- Make sure all unzipped files remain inside the JythonMusic folder.
- This folder contains the JEM editor (see below), a few sample programs, and the JythonMusic libraries.
- Place the JythonMusic folder on your desktop (or anywhere else you want).
- Use this folder to save your programs.
- It is OK to make copies of this folder (for different projects). But keeping everything in one place is easiest.
You are done!
Run the JEM editor
The JythonMusic folder contains the JEM editor (JEM stands for Jython Environment for Music). You can use JEM to edit and run your programs.
Double-click on JEM.jar . This will start JEM. If this doesn’t happen, see frequently asked questions.
The editor has buttons (and menus) for common operations, such as
- Run a program
- Stop (a running) program
- Create a New program (in a separate editor tab)
- Open an existing program (in a separate editor tab)
- Save a modified program
- Open an Interactive Console (to try Python commands before committing them into a program)
- Open editor Preferences (such as setting font and tab size)
Other ways to run programs
You may also run JythonMusic programs using other editors. These are intended for more experienced users, as they involve more detailed setup. Also, they may not necessarily provide better performance.