JythonMusic runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Download the latest release (115MB).
- Current Release: JythonMusic 4.6
- Release date: March 17, 2018 (also see what’s new)
Unzip the JythonMusic folder you downloaded.
- Keep all extracted files inside the JythonMusic folder.
- this folder contains the JEM editor (see below), a few sample programs, and the JythonMusic libraries.
- Place the JythonMusic folder on your desktop (or anywhere you want).
- Use this folder to save your programs.
Keeping all your programs in this folder is easiest. But you can make copies of this folder for larger projects, if you wish.
Run the JEM editor
The JythonMusic folder contains the JEM editor (JEM stands for Jython Environment for Music). You can use JEM to edit and run your programs.
Double-click on JEM.jar . This will start JEM. If this doesn’t happen, see frequently asked questions.
The editor has buttons (and menus) for common operations, such as
- Run a program
- Stop (a running) program
- Create a New program (in a separate editor tab)
- Open an existing program (in a separate editor tab)
- Save a modified program
- Open an Interactive Console (to try Python commands before committing them into a program)
- Open editor Preferences (such as setting font and tab size)
Other ways to run programs
You may also run JythonMusic programs using other editors. These are intended for more experienced users, as they involve more detailed setup. Also, they may not necessarily provide better performance.